OVERVIEW: SNOW LEOPARD TREK:
Hemis national park is situated in the eastern part of ladakh with a general elevation over 3000 meters. it covers an area of 600sq.kms in the valleys of markha and rumbak. This high altitude protected area was created in 1981 for the conservation and protection of its unique flora and fauna. The terrain surrounding the park is generally rocky with thin soil cover supporting a poor vegetation growth. Streams and rivers have laid a thick deposit of sand along their banks. The climate of the area is sub-arctic to arctic with less rainfall during summers and heavy snowfall during winters and temperature dropping much below freezing point. Summers are short and mild. there are many rare and endangered animal species found in this cold desert, amongst these are the elusive snow leopard, lynx, ibex, tibetan antelope, blue sheep, shapo, marmot, tibetan hare etc. among the fauna population found are the snow partridge, golden oriole, snow cock, golden eagle, horned lark, red billed chough etc. you are invited to take part in a snow leopard trekking package that offers 6 days of complete adventure and excitement. It starts once you arrive the wonderland of leh. Begin the expedition with an exploration of the glistening town when the himalayas are forming the best background every time. zingchen is the gateway to the entrance of the most awaited rumbak gorge. You will be climbing up to an impressive altitude of 3050 meters and come at the narrow gorge.
The wild paths of mystical land of husing will unfold by understanding the mountainous slopes. In extreme winter, the snow leopard and other animals are forced to come down from the high altitudes they live usually and that are why hemis national park is a perfect winter trek. You will have chances widened to spot them easily. Explore husing and walk around the rumbak valley and watch the argali sheep roaming around. Come back to leh after capturing the manipulative sights of husing and wind up your snow leopard trek.
DAY 01 : Arrive Leh: Arrive and check into your hotel. Rest of the day is free for rest and relaxation. It is important to rest on first few days at high altitude. Overnight at your hotel.
DAY 2: Full day at your leisure to explore places in and around leh. You could go towards sham side and explore gurudwara, sangam, magnetic hill or see the shey and thiksey monasteries with shanti stupa in the evening. Overnight at leh.
DAY 3: Start trek after a hearty pre-trek breakfast. Drive to spituk and start walking along the indus river towards zingchen gorge. Continue up the gorge, a dramatic entry to the snow leopard’s high altitude home in hemis national park. enroute watch amidst the cliffs and at the base of rocks where they mark their turf for sign of snow leopard, and other wildlife. Overnight home-stay / camp. Trekking time: approx 5-6 hrs. Elevation: 12,400’.
DAY 4: Snow-leopard viewing: proceed for full day of tracking snow leopard and its wildlife prey. hemis national park is home to blue sheep, argali (a large horned sheep), numerous mountain and migratory birds, lynx as well as an occasional tibetan wolf. You are likely to see signs of snow leopard, as winter are the time that they descend to lower elevations. If lucky, you’ll actually see one perched high in the rocks or balanced on a near vertical ridge.
DAY 5: Snow-leopard viewing. Trek n spends another day with guide and trained naturalists on the lookout for snow leopard and its prey. The views of this stark landscape, the sky pierced by upward tilted strata, and on snow-free days the ground adorned with hardy alpine plants provide constant fascination.
DAY 6-7: Snow-leopard viewing. Trek to nearby sites where snow leopard may have been sighted recently. Visit and stay overnight in a neighbouring village, rumbak and experience a home-stay. Home stay hosts have been trained in hospitality and are members of a community conservation effort to conserve the endangered snow leopard. Learn about their livestock herding practices and try your hand at their winter pastimes (spinning, weaving and turning a tale). Spend the days tracking snow leopard and other wildlife. Overnight in a home-stay or a camp. Elevation 13,500’.
DAY 8: Trek to zingchen, and return to leh. say goodbye to your hosts and hike down-valley past familiar snow leopard haunts and piles of carved tibetan prayer stones to the road head at zingchen; 5 hrs. Drive to leh, and check into a hotel / guest house for your first real bed in a week!
DAY 09: After an early morning breakfast, leave for a full day excursion trip to pangong lake. Overnight at leh.
DAY 10: leh to delhi. Early morning transfer to leh airport and fly to delhi. Trek and tour ends with awesome memory of ladakh and the trek.
- ASSISTANCE UPON ARRIVAL AT LEH AIRPORT.
- RETURN AIRPORT AND ROUND TRIP TRANSFERS ALONG WITH ALL SIGHTSEEING TOURS BY NON-AC VEHICLE AS PER THE ITINERARY.
- INNER LINE PERMITS, ENVIRONMENTAL FEE, WILD LIFE FEES & RED CROSS FEE.
- ALL TOLL TAX AND PARKING FEE.
- ALL APPLICABLE TAXES OF HOTELS.
- ACCOMMODATION IN LEH IN A CLASS HOTEL IN LEH FOR 4 NIGHTS WITH BREAKFAST AND DINNER.
- ALL MEALS ON TREK AND IN HOME-STAYS/CAMPS (WHILE ON TREK).
- TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE TREKKING POINT.
- GUIDE SERVICES THROUGHOUT THE TREK IN LADAKH.
- NATIONAL PARK ENTRANCE FEES.
- HOME-STAY CHARGES/CAMP STAY CHARGES.
- ALL CAMPING SERVICES (STAY TENT/DINING TENT/KITCHEN TENT).
- PONIES AS PORTERS AND A HELPER.
- FULL DAY EXCURSION TO PANGONG LAKE.
- HOT WATER BAGS IN CAMPS.
- QUALIFIED & EXPERIENCED TEAM OF, COOK, HELPERS & PORTERS.
- ALL MEALS ON TREK AND IN HOME-STAYS/CAMPS (WHILE ON TREK)
- TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE TREKKING POINT.
- GUIDE SERVICES THROUGH OUT THE TREK IN LADAKH.
THE FOLLOWING LIST ONLY MENTIONS THE ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS. YOU HAVE TO PREPARE A LIST OF CLOTHES AND SMALL PERSONAL ARTICLES YOU WILL NEED DURING THE TREK.
CAMPING EQUIPMENT PROVIDED ON THE TREK
TRIP LEADERS OUR TRIP LEADERS HAVE A VAST EXPERIENCE OF TREKKING & CAMPING IN THE HIMALAYAS. THEY ARE FLUENT IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ARE ALWAYS FORTHCOMING WITH INTERESTING LORE AND INFORMATION ON LOCAL HISTORY, CULTURE AND PRACTICES. ALL OUR TRIP LEADERS HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF FIRST-AID.
MEALS ON OUR TREKS ON ALL OUR TREKS WE PROVIDE FOOD THAT'S TASTY, HYGIENIC AND NUTRITIOUS. OUR CHEFS ARE EXPERTS AT KEEPING THE TEAM'S BATTERIES CHARGED WITH MOUTH-WATERING WATERING MULTI-CUISINE MEALS, AT TIMES UNDER DIFFICULT CONDITIONS. CUISINE IS DECIDED KEEPING IN MIND THE PROFILE OF THE GROUP. ALSO ON MOST OF OUR TREKS OUR CLIENTS GET THE OPTION OF TRYING OUT THE LOCAL DISHES.
CAMERA:BRING A SPARE SET OF BATTERIES OR A SMALL SOLAR CHARGER FOR RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES. AND LOTS OF FILM, AS LADAKH & ZANSKAR IS EXTREMELY PHOTOGENIC!
VIDEO CAMERA:EITHER BRINGS EXTRA BATTERIES OR A SOLAR CHARGER.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:OUR CAMPING TRIPS ARE FULL-SERVICE, WITH TENTS, SLEEPING PADS, OUR DINING TENT, KITCHEN TENT, ALL SUPPLIES AND FOOD, PONIES AND A FANTASTIC STAFF AND GUIDES PROVIDED. YOU JUST NEED TO BRING YOUR PERSONAL GEAR AND A GOOD SPIRIT TO ENJOY THE ADVENTURE.
- ANYTHING NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED UNDER THE HEAD “INCLUSIONS”.
- SLEEPING BAGS AND CLOTHING DURING THE TREK (NOTE: SLEEPING BAGS ARE OPTIONAL; HOME-STAYS PROVIDE SHEETS AND BLANKETS).
- INSURANCE, LAUNDRY, PHONE CALLS. (ALCOHOLIC, MINERAL, AERATED)INSURANCE, LAUNDRY, PHONE CALLS. (ALCOHOLIC, MINERAL, AERATED).
- COST INCIDENTAL TO ANY CHANGE IN THE ITINERARY/ STAY ON ACCOUNT OF FLIGHT CANCELLATION DUE TO BAD WEATHER, ILL HEALTH.
- ROADBLOCKS AND/OR ANY FACTORS BEYOND CONTROL.
- ANY KIND OF PERSONAL EXPENSES OR OPTIONAL TOURS / EXTRA MEALS ORDERED. ANYTHING NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED UNDER THE HEAD “PACKAGE INCLUSIONS” TIPS, INSURANCE, LAUNDRY, PHONE CALLS.
- GST 5% ON TOTAL INVOICE.
- MEDICAL & TRAVEL INSURANCE.
- THE SERVICES OF VEHICLE IS NOT INCLUDED ON LEISURE DAYS & AFTER FINISHING THE SIGHTSEEING TOUR AS PER THE ITINERARY.
THINGS TO CARRY:
- DUFFEL BAG DOWN/SYNTHETIC CAMP BOOTIES, SUNGLASSES, LIGHT GLOVES.
- SLEEPING BAG, FLASHLIGHT/HEADLAMP WITH EXTRA BATTERIES, DAYPACK.
- ONE LITER WATER BOTTLES WIDE MOUTHED, TREKKING BOOTS.
- WATER PURIFICATION/FILTER, CAMP SHOES/SNEAKERS.
- WALKING STICK/TREKKING POLE, COTTON SOCKS.
- NOTE BOOK WITH PENS AND PENCILS, GORE-TEX JACKET.
- LIP BALM, LIGHT WIND JACKET SUNSCREEN / MOISTURISER.
- FLEECE JACKET/VEST, PERSONAL TOILETRIES.
- T-SHIRTS, PERSONAL MEDICINES, MONEY POUCH/BELT.
- TREKKING PANTS, ENERGY BARS, THERMAL TOPS.
- VITAMIN TABLETS, THERMAL BOTTOM, EXTRA PASSPORT PHOTOS.
- WARM HAT AND BANDANA/SCARF, SUN HAT/BASEBALL CAP.
- WIND- AND RAIN-GEAR WITH HOOD, SWISS ARMY KNIVES (CLASSIC POCKET TOOL).
- ONE PAIR COTTON TROUSERS OR SHORTS, TWO COTTON SHIRTS/T-SHIRTS ONE WARMER.
- JACKET WITH HOOD.
- PERSONAL MEDICINES.
GENERAL TERMS & CONDITION:
- Prices valid from 01st April 2019 to 31st Oct 2019.
- Check-In / Check-out time at all the properties would at 1000 hrs.
- Any price hike due to flight cancelled or delayed due to Bad weather or any other reason given by the airline. Cost for accommodation and transport in such cases will have to be borne by passenger.
- There would be no refund for the road blocks at Nubra / Pangong & Tsomoriri due to natural calamity.
- No Refund or Compensation for any unused services. No changes in the date of travel once booked.
- Room allotment will be as per availability at the time of check in, floor or view preferences are not guaranteed.
- Food menu as per availability of vegetables based on Buffet / Fixed menu.
- Any dispute will be subject to Delhi jurisdiction.
- 25% advance (Non Refundable) to be deposited at the time of booking confirmation & Balance 75% one month prior to arrival.
- Maximum 06 Pax can be accommodated in one vehicle Xylo or Similar.
- Any addition in Tax or Fuel charge done by Airlines / Transport Company etc will be chargeable to group members.
- The above rates are applicable strictly for resident Indian citizens only.
- 25% any time after confirmation.
- 50% before 30 days of arrival date.
- 100% before 15 days from date of departure.
- No Refund within 15 Days from the date of departure.
- No Refund or Compensation on any changes on ongoing trip.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION:
WHEN TO BOOK SNOW LEOPARD TREK?
YOU SHOULD BOOK SNOW LEOPARD TREK FOUR MONTHS IN ADVANCE SO THAT YOU GET AMPLE AMOUNT OF TIME TO PREPARE FOR THE TREK.
WHO WILL CARRY MY BACKPACK?
THERE SHALL BE PONY/PORTER THAT WILL CARRY YOUR BACKPACK WHILE ON TREK; YOU ONLY NEED TO CARRY SMALL KNAPSACK.
WHAT WILL BE THE WEIGHT OF THE BACKPACK?
ONCE YOU BOOK YOUR TREK WITH US WE WILL PROVIDE YOU A LIST OF THINGS TO CARRY, WHICH SHOULD NOT WEIGH MORE THAN 12 KGS.
WHERE TO MEET US?
OUR PICK UP AND DROP POINT FOR SNOW LEOPARD TREK IS AT LEH AIRPORT. FROM AIRPORT, OUR GUIDE WILL PICK YOU AND THEN ASSIST YOU THROUGH THE EXPEDITION.
HOW WE RUN THE TREK?
WE HAVE AN EXPERIENCED TREKKING GUIDE WHO LEADS THE TREK.
WHAT IS THE BATCH SIZE?
OUR GROUP SIZE IS MINIMUM 1 PAX AND MAXIMUM 10 PEOPLE WITH MIX OF MEN AND WOMEN.
WHAT WILL BE THE MINIMUM TEMPERATURE DURING SNOW LEOPARD TREK?
BETWEEN THE MONTHS OF NOVEMBER AND MARCH, THE TEMPERATURE DURING THE TREK CAN GO AS LOW AS -25 DEGREE CELSIUS DURING THE NIGHT AND IT CAN GET WINDY, WHICH WILL FURTHER DECREASE THE TEMPERATURE.
HOW LONG WE TREK DURING SNOW LEOPARD TREK?
WE PLAN OUR TREKS IN A WAY THAT AFTER 6 – 7 HOURS OF TREKKING WE CAN REACH NEXT CAMP AROUND THE LUNCH TIME. NORMALLY, 10-15KMS PER DAY OF TREKKING IS REQUIRED.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF A TREK IS EXTENDED BECAUSE OF LANDSLIDES OR ANY OTHER REASONS?
IF WE HAVE TO EXTEND THE TREK DUE TO THE REASONS WHICH ARE BEYOND OUR CONTROL THEN ADDITIONAL CHARGE MAY APPLY FOR HOTEL STAY AND FOOD.
CAN I TAKE DIAMOX?
DIAMOX IS INDEED HELPFUL WHEN YOU HAVE LITTLE TIME FOR ACCLIMATIZATION BUT WE STRONGLY ADVISE TO CONSULT THE DOCTOR BEFORE TAKING DIAMOX.
IS IT SAFE FOR GIRLS TO GO ON A TREK?
SAFETY IS OF PRIME IMPORTANCE FOR US THAT IS WHY THE TOURS ARE MANAGED BY US PERSONALLY AND NOT BY A THIRD PARTY. THUS, WE ASSURE THAT THE TREK IS ABSOLUTELY SAFE EVEN FOR SOLO FEMALE TREKKERS, WHO CAN JOIN US FOR FIXED DEPARTURE TREKS.
WHAT KIND OF SHOES WILL BE REQUIRED?
TREKKING SHOES WITH ANKLE SUPPORT ARE A MUST FOR ANY TREK IN THE HIMALAYAS. QUECHUA FORLCLAZ 500, HI-TEC COLMAN AND SALOMON ARE GOOD SHOES WITH VALUE FOR MONEY.
WHAT KIND OF FOOD IS SERVED DURING THE TREK?
WE SERVE NUTRITIOUS SIMPLE VEGETARIAN FOOD DURING THE TREK. WE MAINTAIN VARIETY IN LENTILS, VEGETABLE AND BREAKFAST. AT TIMES, WE ALSO TREAT OUR TREKKERS IN THE HIMALAYAS WITH DELICACIES LIKE THUKPA, LOCAL DISHES ETC.
IS IT SAFE TO DRINK WATER FROM THE STREAM?
HIMALAYAN STREAM WATER IS SAFE TO DRINK AS WELL AS FOR COOKING BUT WE ALSO HAVE WATER FILTERS, AND CHLORINE TABLETS IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
WHICH VEHICLE DO WE USE FOR TRANSPORTATIONS?
MOST OF THE HIMALAYAN ROADS TOWARDS THE TREK ARE IN BAD SHAPE, SO VEHICLE WITH HIGH GROUND CLEARANCE LIKE MAHINDRA BOLERO, TATA SUMO, SCORPIO, MAX, TEMPO TRAVELLER ETC ARE USED FOR TRANSPORTATION.
ARE YOUR FIXED DEPARTURES DATES ARE DEFINITE?
WE GUARANTEE THAT EVEN IF THAT THERE WILL BE ONLY ONE TREKKER, WE WILL HEAD OUT ON THAT PARTICULAR DATE.
HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH EMERGENCY SITUATION?
OUR TREK LEADERS ARE CERTIFIED MOUNTAINEERS WITH KNOWLEDGE OF FIRST AID IN WILDERNESS AND THEY CARRY NECESSARY FIRST AID KIT. AT EACH CAMP THEY ASSES YOUR CONDITION AND CAN TAKE RELEVANT AND PROMPT ACTION IN CASE A RESCUE IS REQUIRED. PLEASE NOTE IN THE CASE OF A RESCUE, ALL THE ADDITIONAL COST WILL BE BORNE BY THE TREKKER.
HOW TO BOOK THE TREK?
REGISTER FOR THE TREK ON THE WEBSITE AND WE SHALL SEND THE DETAILS ABOUT THE BOOKING PROCEDURE.